Saturday 19 October 2013

Stafford Moor Festival Mon/Tues

The most important day of the week is the Monday. It determines which order you will be fishing the lakes in rotation. In my mind, ideally I would have liked to fished Emily's or Pine's followed by Beatties, Tanner's, Woodie's and finally Joseph's but it was not to be. Day one saw me on Tanner,s.

I had drawn peg 35, a good peg and I was pleased with it. I had drawn it during the summer and had a decent weight from it fishing half way across with 10mm Jupiters. However Vic mentioned that you sometimes need to go really long if you are getting no bites. I set up two bomb rods, one with 2/3oz bomb the other with an ounce, 4lb mainline to lassoed hook lengths. Two pellet waggler rods, one to fish 2ft deep the other to fish 4ft. I also set up a margin rig just in case.

Vic and Del had both drawn Woodie's with Vic on 28 and Del on 3. Troy would have started his campaign off on Beattie's, but would miss the first day due to work commitments.

At the all in I started off on the bomb halfway with a single 10mm Jupiter and immediately started getting a few indications on the tip, a few liners, before after 20minutes the tip goes round and fish number 1 is on. At around 5lb it was a nice start. I kept pinging a few pellets every minute or so and after an hour I had 3 fish. I had a few chucks on the waggler but the wind was hampering presentation and I just could not get it right. The lake was fishing hard. Kevin Wingfield next door on 36 was getting odd fish and I felt he was slightly in front whilst I could see Andy Pell getting a few fish down the edge towards peg 12 from peg 13. Trevor on 34 was putting together a few silver and had a proper carp down the edge.

By swapping lines and distance on the bomb I managed to hook a few more carp, losing one on the line clip and another under the platform, which looked around 8lb, so going into the last hour I was sat on 4 fish. A quick look down the edge produced nothing, so it was back on the bomb. Another two carp followed which boosted my total to 6 fish. Kevin had 7 but I think his were slightly better stamp.

Kevin weighed in 46lb to my 31lb which would see me end up 4th in section. Kevin winning it. 2nd in section was only 35lb and any one of those lost fish would have seen me start off the festival on a high, Andy Pell won the lake with 48lb. I did mention the lake had fished hard.

Vic weighed in 46lb for 3rd in section whilst Del had a section 2nd and a pick up.

Tuesday saw me on Woodie's peg 6 where Del had fished in the open on the Saturday. Again I set up 2 bomb rods to fish across to the island. A waggler rod to fish 3/4 across 2ft deep and two margin rigs to fish both sides under some trees. I started off on the bomb pinging a few pellets over to the island dropping a few short deliberately for the pellet waggler. A bream of around 2lb was first to show, not what I expected but at least I had started. A small carp on the waggler was the first to grace my other net, before the bomb and waggler lines went quiet. A look down to the left where Del had caught and nothing. A look down to the right and a small indication. Another drop in and this time an angry carp went around the back of the tree and snapped me up. I went back out on the bomb whilst I sorted out another rig and with no indications on it I was soon back down the edge. I was fishing the right hand edge tight into the bank and found that by lifting and dropping a grain of Stinky Corn, I would hook a few carp. In fact I landed only 4 more and lost another 4 with fish that ran around the back of the tree. They certainly know where to go when hooked. In hindsight I think I fed too much, only two tins but still felt if I had kindered in rather than throw it would have been better.

Again, I ended up fourth in section, losing out on second again by 6lb but way off the section winner on peg 3 with 77lb.

So Monday and Tuesday had similar results, too many lost fish had cost me points and possible better placings in the festival.

Del and Vic had drawn Joseph's. Del on the dam wall and had snagged 4 carp for 37lb whilst Vic and peg 21 on the Spit which had won the section the previous day. However, the fish were not there and he ended up with 3 fish for 20 odd pound and 5th in section. Troy was on Tanners 11 and had caught 6 carp for 38lb.

No comments:

Post a Comment