Saturday 7 June 2014

Marsh AC Colemans Cottage Wood Lake

After a fortnight of work, work and yet more work it was nice to get back out and onto the bank, albeit at a venue that I do not do well at. To say the build up to the day was hectic was an understatement but with Trevor Price pulling out all the stops and coming good on his day off we were able to set off to Coleman's Cottage by 0615. A good run down saw Troy and Pete catch up with us, then overtake us and pull away. Still we managed to save our energy for the full English served up before Troy and Pete's. In fact Pete's face was a picture.
There would be 21 of us fishing today, a mixture of guests and members but with one noticeable absentee. Apparently our Chairman Dave Collier had booked into an open at Lake Louise in Canada and could not be with us. Too busy catching Salmon and Sturgeon I suppose.
The draw saw everyone preferring a short walk down the straight(32-40 or 1-8) rather than fishing the bowl. Mick was soon in the bag and as usual out comes peg 2, sock on. Pete had drawn 32, one of Chairman Dave's favourite pegs. Troy was on 24 in the corner which can fish well if the wind blows in, whilst I had peg 12, a decent Barbel peg on its day, but not one I would expect to win from.
Now normally I fish corn or Stinky Corn at Coleman's with pellet as a back up. This has not worked for me recently  and with meat banned, I decided to fish Stinky Maggot over maggot down the edge at 5m and top two. I also set a rig up for the corn and pellet at 2+2 but felt it was too deep for my style of fishing it to work effectively. So would double this up with a shallower rig set to fish 3ft in 6ft of water.
I have recently been trying to use pulla kits and I am getting the slowly and today would be another practice day for me on them. Black Hydro and a Grey Hydro on pulla's and a standard Orange Vespe  would account for elastic choices. MW Diamonds to fish 2+2 both up and down and MW Margin floats down the side. All were tied to .18 Stroft and size 14 PR36. A bit too heavy really for maggot but It was all I had in my box. I never fish maggot, I even had to ask someone which end the hook goes in.
I started off fishing 2+2 fishing and feeding corn but it never really got going. I was getting little knocks on the corn but nothing positive. Possibly Skimmers as when I did connect to a couple they were small 8oz fish. A look over this line shallow after 10 minutes brought nothing. I had fed 2 large pots of maggot onto both margin lines at the start and over the far 5m line I noticed a swirl. I had a quick look and was getting a roach or perch one a chuck before solid resistance was met and a nice Barbel around 3lb eventually came to the net, before it was back to roach and perch, then another Barbel. This continued for about an hour where I estimated I had around 20lb of "Silvers". What was worrying was no carp were present. I could see odd fish being caught but no one was setting it alight. I could only see the bowl and did not have a clue how Mick was doing
I was ticking over nicely, fishing 4 or 5 maggots on the hook but could not get through the roach and perch often enough. When I did I caught a Barbel. A look on the top kit line which I was feeding by hand every 30 seconds produced my first carp and another couple of barbell before again switching off. Clive was now catching a few on peg 10 close to the aerator.
I was now rotating my lines after a couple of fish and this brought a good spell of barbel and carp to the net, I would have a couple of fish then it would die. Move to another line and the same would happen but I managed to get a rhythm going and even started a new line at top three in the margin for a couple of 3lb F1's. Pete was struggling, as was Troy but Al was now getting amongst them as was Tony, I heard the Mick was bagging and would take some beating, ahhhh well there goes another nugget. But I still had the section to fish for.
It was a simple case of catch anything that swims. I tried a 6mm hard pellet banded occasionally for a couple of barbell but it was quicker on the Stinky Maggot. Another look at 2+2 brought a brief spell of corn caught f1's but again I was waiting too long. So the margin received the remainder of my time and by the end I reckoned on around 80-90lb of fish. Overall it had fished hard, perhaps it was the air pressure, We had a thunderstorm complete with lightning during the match and I wonder if this could have affected the weights.
Overall


1st Mick Wright          126-00 Peg 2
2nd Tony Roberts       103-08 Peg 38
3rd Al Loader               92-00 Peg 36
4th Keith Ashby           89-00 Peg 12
5th Kevin Loveland     59-08 Peg 40
6th Clive Pritchard       57-08 Peg 10


I have enjoyed the day, I had to work to catch my fish today and that makes it all the more worthwhile. OK the result did not go my way as I lost another MK Nugget to make it 10-6 to me, but a section win softened the blow slightly.


Stop Press:  Apparently Dave Collier won his section of one on Lake Louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment