Tuesday 9 September 2014

Alders Farm Affordable Open Oaks Lake 09 09 14

The Specimen Lake at Alders Farm (Oaks) has been fishing really well of late, not the massive weights normally associated with Alders Farm, but you still need a ton to frame, different styles catch and it can be won from anywhere.
I like the lake but it can be frustrating, a few weeks back I lost a "twenty" when the fish rolled over the hook-length. Yet in the same breath you can catch pound carp and skimmers all day long if you can keep them coming.
At the café it was nice to see 11 anglers on the match today with anglers travelling from London and Nottingham. I collected all the monies while Charlie Lancaster pegged it out on Trevor's instructions. Only two banks were in today with 8 on the café bank and 3 on the house bank. I had drawn peg 2 on the house bank with Charlie on 3 and Mick Wright, fresh from closing the gap in the MK Nugget stakes on the out and out flyer peg 1. He can seriously draw well.
I set up three lines, two either side of me on top two's(brambles hampered going any further, and a line on 2+2 to fish corn in 4ft of water. Bait was corn, 8mm Hard pellet and 6mm expanders. Feed were fishery micros and a kilo of 3G GB along with 3 kilo of corn.
I started off feeding 2 balls of GB onto 2+2 followed by a pot of Corn and half a pot of micros. Down both edges went 1/2 pots of micros, a ball of GB to the right and just a handful of corn to the left.
Before I had finished feeding my lines I could hear Mick playing his first fish, and thought I was going to get battered today, but slowly I started getting a few small carp to around 2lb with the odd skimmer thrown in for good measure. After an hour I reckoned on having around 15lb but was behind Mick and Colin opposite me. Hour two was slower with only around 10lb gracing the keepnet and nothing over a pound. Hour three and the peg seemed dead, despite trying both expanders and hard pellets. So I re-fed the line positively with another full pot of corn
A look down both edges produced no bites. This is a poor margin peg and although next to peg 1, a good margin peg, the fish never seemed to come round the corner close to the bank. So it was back to the 2+2 line. I added another section and added a foot to the length and fished just past my feed and this produced a few more fish, before the peg went quiet. The culprit was a large common carp around 20lb which plodded around and shed the hook as the landing net went towards it GRRRRR!!!! or words to that effect. Next drop in produced a carp around 3lb and I thought the bigger fish had at last turned up. How wrong I was. Stone dead. Again I re-fed the line with a ball of GB and another full pot of corn. Another 20 minutes down both edges again produced no bites so it was back out to where the fish were hopefully queued up. Another 10 minutes passed before my next bite from a 14lb mirror carp which swam towards me and up so was scooped with the minimum of fuss. A few more carp and skimmers around the 1 1/2lb mark came to double corn but nothing regular and my match just fizzled out. I knew Mick had beaten me again to close the gap to 12-8 but did not realise how close it was in the end. I had 79lb to Mick's 87lb, a few lost fish here and there would have seen me home, but then again we can all say that.
Oaks Lake had again fished well with 4 weights over a ton.
Overall
1st Colin Spencer         121-03
2nd Josh Blavins          117-02
3rd Ernie                      103-09
4th Trevor Price           100-00
5th Mick Wright            87-03
6th Charlie Lancaster    82-02

My next match is at Alders next Tuesday, as always you can read, the good, the bad and the diabolical days fishing I have here.




No comments:

Post a Comment