Tuesday 7 April 2015

Alders Farm Ash Lake 07 04 15

Well it has been a busy start to the year and the fishing has had to take a back seat for a while, but I had booked into the Tuesday open at Alders Farm and managed to coerce Mick into coming along as well. So if nothing else the MK Nugget will be contested.
Arriving early I had already developed a plan of attack and that involved corn, surprise there. I had with me 3 kilos of the stuff and dependant on how it was fishing would expect to use most of it. I also picked up a couple of bags of 4mm fishery pellets as they compliment the corn feed well.
The match itself was to be on the café bank and dam wall of Ash lake with 11 pegs put in for the 10 anglers. Dennis was on peg 2 with Shaun Weed on peg 3, Del Smith had somehow sneaked peg 4 and Colin Spencer making the long trip from Nottingham on 5, Brainy was on 6 with Paul Higgins on 7. Terry Lancaster was on 8 with Trevor Price on 9. Mick was on 10 and" happydays" I was pegged next door on 11. Never a good omen.
However, Trevor had been for a walk and my peg 11 ended up on old 23 by the fallen tree and end peg. What I did not expect though was three pleasure anglers arriving as we were setting up, despite being asked to fish the area opposite the café. "You can tell anglers".
Still undeterred I set about tackling up, a starter line at 2+2 for the corn, another line at 6m slightly past the 2+2 line and down the shelf, and a throw away line at 11m in case I needed a get out of jail line. All were MW Diamonds .3g to a size 16 B911s.
At the all in I potted a half pot of pellet and corn to 11m and threw around a dozen grains to 2+2. I started off on this line and in the first hour managed to net around 12 fish ranging from a pound to 4lb. Still feeding regularly I was slowly putting a weight together, I could see others catching and I was on a par. I was also catching 2 fish to Mick's one so knew I was on course for the Nugget. I suffered my first lull in proceedings with around 3 hours gone, I tried going shorter on a top three and nicked a couple but the fish did not stay, tried just past the line at 6m for another couple of fish before spending 15 minutes at 11m for a single carp, albeit around 6lb.
I heard a rather large crack at this point and looked around to see Mick trying to recoup his pole sections from the water to no avail. However a couple of chucks with his feeder rod managed to snag the line and retrieve the sections and the fish.
I was still feeding the 2+2 line and looked in again and profited from the rest as the fish seemed to respond again, this time to Pineapple Gel It corn, Hour 4 and 5 flew by and although I was catching I felt I was still behind Trevor and Colin. I was now fishing just past my feed in the slightly deeper water and still putting fish in the net but another lull followed with around 45 minutes to go. Luckily it only lasted about 15 minutes before I managed to find them again and catch a few towards the end.
I never touched the tree during the match as I felt the pressure of both myself and the pleasure anglers would push them out to the open water. It just goes to show.
Overall
1st Colin Spencer           219.14
2nd Keith Ashby            171.08
3rd Trevor Price             151.04
4th Richard Brain           140.13
5th Shaun Weed             131.00
6th Del Smith                 127. 07


As we packed up I thought I had fished a good tidy match, I had taken a Nugget off Mick, so that's 2-0 to me so far, but it's a long way to go. Well done to Colin for the first double ton of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment