Tuesday 14 November 2017

Alders Farm Ash Lake Costcutter 14 11 2017

There I was congratulating Mick on his win as Marsh AC club champion for yet another year, when it dawned on me that the all important MK Nugget was not finished and we still had one last agreed match to finish off the season. Today, was the day. Conveniently the score was 10 each, so it was all to play for. It's not the we do not go fishing anymore because we do. It is just that the matches tend to dry up, as we both do not like breaking ice, and we can focus on different aaspects of our sport. Myself, trying my hand for skimmers and proper bream on a local complex, Mick tackling the local rivers with a loaf of bread.
Ash Lake was the chosen venue, and as it had got decidedly cooler, the ball would fall nicely into Mick's court. he had completely dominated the start of the campaign winning a lot of his matches during the cooler spring months, before I managed a comeback during the summer months. Still the weather was fair with little wind and odd showers planned for later on towards the 3pm finishing time.
With only a few hardy souls in attendance. Nice to see Dave Stratful there as it has been a few years since our paths last crossed. We spread out along the cafe bank and the dam wall. Mick was again one of the first into the bucket and end peg flyer 21 sticks to his mitt. My attempt would see me on peg 19. So after 11 months of fishing, travelling and being pegged next to each other on numerous occasions we were also together on this last MK Nugget match of the year.
I planned to fish at 11m just out of the shaded area of the peg, this stretched to 14m before going completely dark with shadows. I also set up a line for top four and three but did not think the fish would come so close. I had good depth there, just a strange feeling around the time of year when a lot of fish are shoaling up in the bowl and island pegs. I also set up a small drennan crystal dibber which doubled up as a margin rig and shallow rig.
At the all in I started on a banded 6mm feeding a small amount of micros and a pinch of maggot. No bites after 20 minutes, I tried lifting and dropping, switching to a 6mm expander and even a 4mm banded. Still no bites. For 90 minutes, nothing no bites at 11m despite trying a variety of baits. Mick was faring better and had secured 3 carp before my float dipped and a small carp around 3lb graced the net taken on worm. Another fish on worm ten minutes later saw me close the gap to 3-2 before Mick pulled away again.I was looking around the lake and no one seemed to be setting the world alight and it was a case of trying to nick odd fish throughout. However, Trevor and John on pegs 6 and 7 were getting odd fish on the waggler.
Coming in on the closer lines proved fruitless with 30 minutes wasted for no bites or indications. Dennis decided he was going for a swim after falling off his box, so I was quick to ship back in and run to his aid. He did not look too good and was quite shaken but after a change of clothes was was soon back fishing. Back out to 11m and another carp, Mick was still nicking odd fish by the tree, however I found that by feeding a line at 11m and fishing 12.5m I would get odd bites. Strange I know, but who am I to argue.
I was now fishing double maggot on my 11m rig at 12.5m. Another seven carp came before the end of the five hours. It would be close between us, we both had 10 or 11 carp with Mick having a couple of Rudd and a skimmer to me solitary skimmer. Everyone seemed to have struggled.
Overall
1st Trevor Price 57-07
2nd John Light 56-04
3rd DanWallace 40-00
4th Dave Stratful 36-00
5th Keith Ashby 34-07
6th Mick Wright 27-02
7th Dave Adams 20-02
8th Pete Archer 14-10
9th Dennis Simpson DNW
So that's it for another MK Nugget year. A close one to call, I just nicked it at the death, 11-10. I still do not know how I managed to scrape in, I had a horrendous start to the year, worse than previous years, but managed to claw some results back during the summer and autumn.
Now for a few pleasure sessions to see the year out.


No comments:

Post a Comment