Sunday 3 June 2018

Marsh AC Hartleylands Peartree 02 06 2018

The last couple of matches have been a bit of a mystery, I have caught plenty of fish but no real weight. Another pound on each fish would have seen dramatic changes in my fortune. However, it is very hard to choose which fish will take your bait. Older and wiser spring to mind and I am currently getting the kindergarten stamp at present.
Mick's turn to drive and a long one to boot. Hartleylands means a 0500 start to get to the Knoxbridge cafe in time for opening at 0700. A full English washed down with a couple of cups of tea always goes down well and to meet up with a couple of others fishing the match sets the tone.
The short trip to Hartleylands was soon done and I was pleased to see a lot of work has gone into refurbishing the venue. Proper car parks, new lakes, solid platforms and good signage as well as a bailiff on site to answer any queries all looks good for the future. We were on Peartree Lake, having not fished it for a few years, I can vaguely remember fishing on the edge of one of the islands and catching late on, close in.
This lake has also changed and another island created and with the wind blowing into it and a lot of scum being created congregating into the corner I fancied it for a few fish. We had the far bank and the car park bank to play with and with only 12 in attendance, it was decided to peg out four pegs, miss one, four pegs miss one, four pegs.
As is the norm Mick drew first and peg 25 down the far end of the lake, close to where I was last time and the furthest away from the fish. My turn and peg 27, a bit further down and in the same section as Mick. Tony" the Reverend" ( Due to the amount of exorcising he was doing) Roberts was in between us with Chairman Dave on the end peg in the corner, no short walk for him today!!!!!!!!
I must admit I still fancied the peg for a few fish, they were cruising around without a care in the world. I set about setting up to fish 3 lines, 2+2 with a DT Diamond .3, size 16 B911X to .17. I had the same depth at 11m so would double up on this if required. A couple of margin rigs Derek Smith Diamonds .2 with same hook and line. I also set a light rig for up in the water and a heavier slapping rig. Bait was corn, pellet and meat.
At the all in I potted some feed down both sides and started off on corn 2+2. After 10 minutes I had a couple of liners to show but no fish. Tony had a couple of small fish but Dave and Mick were both fish-less. A switch to a shallow rig on the same line saw a small common around the 1lb mark. A few more followed before the line dried up. I re-fed and went out to 11m. Again the same sort of reaction a couple of fish before the line dying. Ten minutes down both sides saw a single mirror around 1.5lb. Others were catching further up the lake, and it seemed the further you went the better the fishing got. Still a section to win. Birthday boy Troy and Kris were neck and neck, both fishing the pellet waggler towards the island. Sometimes only feet apart according to the rumours.Simon and Gino were having their own private battle on the new island whilst John was bagging down the edge into the scum. I knew Mick was struggling despite him spending a whole 12 hour night shift making rigs. Tony was just picking off odd fish and still on the small side. By half way Dave was admitting to 10lb and although I had that already I was not too far ahead. I decided to just keep rotating and working my baits to try to keep fish coming to the net. They may have been small but they all count. It seems as if my run of small fish would continue. Mick's fortune did not change and he was destined to finish down the field. Dave's did though with a run of late carp pushing up his weight.

Overall
1st John Holdsworth 160-04
2nd Gino Exell 74-12
3rd Troy Hillyer 64-12
4th Simon Watkins 60-08
5th Clive Pritchard 56-00
6th Kris Old 52-08

My weight of 50-04 was enough for 7th overall, but I felt I had worked hard for the section win. Again another day full of small fish with nothing over 1.5lb. Well done to all the framers and section winners. Mick's weight of 11lb cost him a MK Nugget and a little bit of abuse at work. Dave's long walk never paid off  with John having the remaining peg in the bag and winning the match. Ouch. Next match is in a fortnight at Southend Farm and another new venue for the satnav  for both Mick and I. 

Mick 5
Keith 4




No comments:

Post a Comment