Friday 27 July 2018

MD's Long weekender 27 July 2018 Alders Farm

As a prelude to the eagerly awaited MD's Pairs championship there is normally an individual match to act as a loosener. Set for later in the day would allow people to travel from far and wide to the prolific Alders Farm Fishery. Names were being taken after last years match such is it's popularity. And to be fair it is more about an angling community getting together towards a common aim. Enjoyment of our great sport.
The Monk Family kindly allow the MD's to form a tented community( more like a Greenpeace camp than the jungle of Calais) during the evenings and have welcomed us with open arms.
I had placed my name down early and booked the day off work. It was a local event and for once I did not need to take loads of holiday to attend.
I decided to get there early, I knew there was another match on Ash Lake and thought Trevor may be under a bit of pressure to get everything sorted, how wrong I was. 

Remarkably attired for the normal ragamuffin look, he look the ultimate professional. Answering everyone's queries with the same answer. Top two plus two plus edges maggot pellet corn. Do not use that horrible paste stuff.

I have over years though developed my own way of doing things. It will not win a lot but is fairly consistent. After a full English and a couple of mugs of tea, we were ready. 19 eager souls awaiting the instruction to pay your money and draw.
I had peg 5 fall at my feet, I was happy with that. I had not fished the lake for a long time but was hopeful of a few fish. I had good friend " The Reverend Tony Roberts" on my right and a new face to me, Trevor Drakes on my left. I had an even older face further to my left in Peter " Mugger" Morton. There were plenty of familiar faces on the bank and it looked as if a lot of the Marsh Lads had come along for the weekend, Simon, Gino, John, Terry and Clive were all packed around the lake.





 I set up 6 rigs but realistically there was only 4 as two of them were duplicates. I planned to fish up and down at 2+2 with corn and a bit of pellet as bites dropped off. I also set up a couple of edge rigs to the left hand margin. A shallow rig for fishing long and a mid depth rig for the 2 + 2 line if the fish came up in the water.
At the all in I started with 4 grains of corn and lowered a single grain through the water column. A bite fairly instantly and the first fish in the net within a minute. A few more followed through the next hour and i reckoned on having 15 fish for around 40lb in the net. However, both Pete and I agreed we would go sit behind the Reverend to offer words of comfort or solace for a few moments.
We agreed that the congregation congregated and as Tony was wearing wellies we thoughhe may have wwelcomed his flock to his alter. How wrong could we be?
Back at our pegs Pete was ruing lost fish and tackle. Trevor was starting to get a few good silvers amongst some good carp shallow on the maggot. I could see opposite and it was so different to our pegs, Trevor Price, Alex,Terry and Mark Skeggs were all catching well. We were having to keep switching and changing things around. A couple of fish down the side boosted a quiet spell at 2 plus 2  but it was not long before I was back out and catching. I thought Trevor had done me going into the last hour and was just planning on catching a few to the end but his swim went a bit quieter on him, Pete started catching and I had a few better quality fish. It shows how quick things can change around. Simon had decided to fish just a top kit as his number 4 was floating around an island as a fish pulled the sections apart. 
The lengths the man will go to to get dressed up!!!!!!!
As the all out sounded the rain which had only just started was not too bad considering the expectation of thunderstorms and hale. 
Overall
1st Mark Skeggs 218 - 11
2nd Trevor Price 211 - 14
3rd Alex             206 - 12
4th Godber         167 - 05
5th Keith Ashby  160 - 14
6th Trev Drakes   155 – 01

Overall a good match, plenty of fish caught and a lowest weight of 59lb with plenty around the 100 mark. I must admit I felt a bit for Trevor, 158 was his personal best weight and he has weighed in 155 today, one fish. Also Pete had to part with one of his shiny pound coins to Dave. Reluctantly.
Be a good boy Pete and let go!!!!

Tomorrow is the start of the pairs event. I will update as and when I can.


  







1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete