Tuesday 18 March 2014

Alders Farm Affordable Open 18 03 14

A week seems a long time between matches after recent successes but work tends to get in the way. A good win on last week's affordable on the Silver Lake and another MK Nugget to take the running total to 5-0. Happy days.


Todays match was on the Match Lake and as it had fished well during the weekend we were all hopeful of a few fish. Personally I liked the look of 38 and 1. Both had good form and there was plenty of fish topping whilst we supped our teas and coffee before the draw. With money paid I dipped into the bag and out came 13. With Mick on 1, however the pegs needed to be redrawn as a couple of pleasure anglers had set up on peg 27.


Another dip in and out came peg 3, a good peg but also one Mick struggled to from earlier this year. Mick again followed me into the bag and out came 4. Another peg to peg battle loomed. Roy had drawn 1. A peg he had never fished before. Paul was opposite on 38. Trevor Price was on 32 and Madd had drawn peg 13, so it would be interesting to see how he does.


The wind was gusting today and I thought the long pole would be too much like hard work, so only set up three lines. Both margins one at 3 sections to the end of the left hand tree, the other 4 sections to just before peg 2 platform. My other line was 2+2. Bait was "Stinky Corn" and a few expanders. I also had a couple of tubs of GOT Rippers as a back up. Feed was 4mm fishery pellets and 3 tins of corn.


At the all in I threw a handful of pellets down both sides and around 10 grains of corn. I would feed these lines regularly and just have the odd look now and again. I started off at 2+2 dropping a single grain of "Stinky Corn " and throwing 4 grains around the float. With only 30 seconds of the bait hitting the water I was into my first fish. A common around 3lb. In fact during the first hour I put 15 carp into the net. Mostly around 2lb but occasionally a 3lber would show.


I was struggling to throw bait the required distance due to the wind blowing it back towards me, so decided to kinder pot some bait in to see if this made any difference. I would get a run of 3 fish before it would go quiet for 10 minutes, then another 3 fish. I tried upping the feed but this just meant foul-hooking fish. I stopped feeding for 10 minutes and did not get a bite, so I opted for little and often approach. 3 grains of corn every put in.


Mick was catching well, as was Trevor on 32 fishing a top two. Roy was quiet so I thought he must be catching and I could see Paul netting a few fish on 38. I could not see many others, so did not have an idea of how they were doing.


At the half way stage I thought I had around 30 fish for 80lb and was going along steadily. I had a couple of quick looks down both sides and caught a few 1lb fish from the right hand swim but nothing from the left. Back out to 2+2 and  a few more fish from this line before it died. I tried adding another section to see if the fish had backed off and also took a section off in case they had come closer but although I was getting odd bites I was having to wait too long in between.


I was now 5 hours in and with nothing happening at 2+2 I decided to ditch this had concentrate on the right hand edge. I had got bites earlier by fishing in tight to the brambles but they were small fish. I added another 6 inches to the rig and fished around a foot off them laying a bit of line on the deck to hold the float in position. This worked well for the last hour where I put around 20 fish in the net and another 50lb. All taken on Stinky Corn.


Overall


1st Trevor Price                                     201-08     Peg 32   Stinky Maggot
2nd Keith Ashby                                   179-13     Peg 3     Stinky Corn
3rd Carpet Roy                                      144-02     Peg 1     Expander
4th Pawel Samojlowicz                         143-00     Peg 38   Corn
5th Brian Townley                                 135-11     Peg 23
6th Mick Wright                                    125-05     Peg 4     Expander, Meat and Corn


Madd had 98-14 from peg 13. Would I have done better? who knows. We will never find out.


So another MK Nugget was promptly received by yours truly and I now lead 6-0 this season. A match second and there is no disgrace in coming second to Trevor Price. He has his methods and I have mine. Its just having confidence in what you are doing and practising and honing it until you are happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment