Wednesday 26 March 2014

Alders Farm Tuesday Affordable 25 03 14

After a couple of overnight frost's and plenty of showers during the days, it was nice to wake up to see the windscreen nice and clear. It was still raining though but was light and according to the local news would finish by 10am. Both Mick and I booked into the Tuesday Affordable Open, but numbers were expected to be on the low side this week, due partly to the weather and also work commitments.
I was leading Mick 6-0 going into this match and knew it was only a matter of time before the tables would turn, however I was hoping it was not going to be today.
By 9am and it still raining outside, 5 hardy souls had turned up for the draw. Charlie Lancaster, Ginger, Pete Archer, Mick and myself. We were going to the Silver lake and opted for pegs on the right hand bank and another on the dam wall. Pegs 1,3,5,7 and 26. This was mainly due to the back bank being slippery and boggy. No point struggling on a knock up is there?
I had drawn peg 1, Charlie 3 where I had won from a fortnight ago, Pete on 5 and Ginger on 7. Mick was on 26 and the pegged was deemed as a "pleasure peg" with no one close and would do well.
I decided to concentrate on what had been working for me recently. 2+2 and down both edges. I set up a MW .3 diamond on .16 Stroft to a size 16 PR36 for 2+2 and a NG Edger float for the right hand side in 18inches of water against the reeds and a NG Ghandi in a foot of water to my left against the brambles. The left hand swim would be fed with corn only whilst the right hand swim corn and fishery only 4mm pellet. The 2+2 line would be corn drip fed by hand and gauged according to bites. Bait was 3 tins of corn, a bag of fishery 4mm pellets, Stinky Corn for the hook and some 6mm GOT Expanders as a change bait.
At the all in I cupped a half pot of feed onto both margins and threw 6 grains of corn onto 2+2. Mick was already into fish, indeed he had had two fish before I had finished my baiting up. I slipped a grain of Stinky Corn on the hook and shipped out. It remained motionless. Charlie was fishing slightly longer and the result was the same, nothing. After an hour I had two small bites to show for my efforts whilst Mick was emptying it opposite. Pete had snared a couple of fish on the tip and Ginger had caught a couple of fish close in. But Charlie and I were blanking. A switch to the right hand edge saw me sae my blushes when a small pasty hooked itself. But then nothing. The left hand edge never produced a bite all day and was promptly dropped. The fish seemed happy to stay in the tree and not venture out and feed.
I was back onto 2+2 and decided to introduce a handful of pellet onto the line whilst continuing to feed corn. This seemed to have the desired effect as I started to get a few bites fishing small grains of Stinky Corn on the hook. Slowly I was starting to put a weight together. not fast but felt if I could get a few better stamp fish then I could compete. I was getting 2lb fish and although I was probably 50lb behind Mick, it seemed that I was catching on a par with him and if he stalled I could catch up. Positive thinking.
Charlie was fishing both edges and getting a few lumps but having to wait for them. However by alternating he kept putting odd fish in the sack. Pete was now fishing shallow and getting a few fish and building a weight to challenge Mick. Ginger had a few fish on the tip and was plugging away after leaving his no4 section at home limiting his options.
After 4 hours I was still just picking off odd fish from 2+2 and not getting anything from the margins, I was disappointed that they did not show down the sides as I felt I could have built a weight quicker from there. The best I could hope for was third, but Charlie was close. Mick and Pete were both catching well still with Pete gradually closing the gap. I attempted to up my feed to see if I could draw more fish into the swim but this seemed to have a detrimental effect and indeed bites slowed. I think there was not enough fish in the area to catch, quite simply and giving what fish were present more choice slowed things down.
At the all out I knew Mick had beat me but thought only Pete could push him close. It was tight between Charlie, Ginger and myself.


Overall


1st Pete Archer                              181-13    Pellet shallow
2nd Mick Wright                           159-00    Stinky Meat
3rd Keith Ashby                             98-15     Stinky Corn
4th Charlie Lancaster                     91-09     Stinky Maggot over GB and Corn otherside
5th Ginger                                      81-13     Unknown


Overall it was a frustrating day for me. I could not get a decent run of fish and I suspect they were just not there. As Charlie had felt the same from  his long lines. Perhaps the fish were all up in the water but I must admit I had only a couple of missed bites all day. Well done to Mick 6-1 sounds better than 7-0 and with one of his favourite venues to come next in the shape of Nicks lake at Hartleylands Farm it bodes well for the future. I will be trying though.

No comments:

Post a Comment