Tuesday 11 November 2014

Alders Farm Oaks Lake 11 11 14

I always try to support my local fishery Alders Farm when I can and if shifts at work allow I always book into the regular Tuesday Opens. Not only are they normally well attended but are spread out across the fishery. To be honest, it would do my head in if it was on the same lake week in week out. Last week I suffered on peg 21 on the match lake and was hoping my drawing arm improved this week.
There were 8 of us fishing this week and as always it was nice and friendly, something else I enjoy, it was pegged 4 on each side of Oaks Lake. Charlie pegged it out whilst Trevor was sorting out bait, etc. I collected the monies and with everyone paid up it was draw time. I fancied a peg in the trees. That had been kind in the past and with a bit of wind on it, I really fancied it. However, peg 1 stuck to my hand and I was still pleased even though I was on the wrong bank. Peg 1 is the first peg on the lake with overhanging trees into the water at 10m to the left. It normally holds some carp, but it often depends on whether you can get them out. I also set up to fish at 12m straight out but would only go over it if the wind dropped enough to control the pole. I also plumbed a line at 2+2 where I could get out of the wind but was doubtful any skimmers or carp would venture so close as the water was fairly clear.
At the all in I cupped a pot of micros to 12m and top 4 lines and a mixed pot of micro and corn to the tree at 10m. With the wind dropped I thought it best to have a go long whilst I could. After 10 minutes and nothing to show for it I re-fed the line and dropped in close. I had a couple of small carp on expander coated with pineapple Gellit before it went quiet. Time to look to the tree. Six put ins saw six Rudd, a switch to a bulk rig fished dead depth with stinky corn saw a procession of carp to around 3lb. I was know catching well and after 2 hours put another net in as I thought I might need it. I reckoned on 50lb in that net and was going well. With a third net in, I started to put a few fish in before it went quiet. I re-fed again and switched out to 12m. A couple of 5lb fish on this line boosted an already decent weight. However it never lasted and I was waiting too long for a bite, albeit better fish. I could catch smaller fish quicker and hoped that I could catch enough from the 10m tree line to see me over the line.
I could see Charlie catching from peg 8 opposite and Terry was getting a mix of carp and Skimmers so was hard to judge. Trevor is a fish so I knew he would be there or thereabouts. John next door on peg 2 had secured a personal best carp in the region of 15lb and was elated to have done this in his first match.
I found that by fishing out a bit further from the tree line I was still getting bites but was struggling to hit them. I did not think the fish were up in the water because I tried this a couple of times for nothing. I kept plugging away and hoped for a good last hour however it was not to be and only four fish came to the net.
Overall
1st Charlie Lancaster           127-10
2nd Keith Ashby                  113-00
3rd Terry Lancaster               77-12
4th Hugh Crawford               77-00
5th Nick Rowe                      73-00
6th Trevor Price                    67-15
I feel after this match that I fished it about right today, I only lost one fish all day and that was from the 12m. I am not sure that micros were the right thing for down the side but it is certainly something I can work on over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment