Wednesday 19 November 2014

Oakfield Open 19 11 14

With a spare day off work and a couple of pints of maggot spare, I booked in late (it was so late they added the peg in as I arrived) to the midweek open at Oakfield. I had fished it last week and I fished really poor, could only get a bite on maggot at 12m and not only missed a lot of bites, the ones I hit were tiny fish.
I could not let it beat me up though so armed with corn, expanders, hard pellet and maggot I was confident of getting a few of the carp and f1's.
I arrived nice and early to be greeted by Nick who took my money whilst John was busy making me a bacon sarnie.
Both lakes were in again and Red Kite 4 stuck to my hand. A good draw in a good area with the light breeze pushing down our end of the lake. However as last week I set up to fish 12m but this time decided to fish 3 lines at 6m all fed differently to see if I could get something to work. I also set up a line in front of peg 3.
Last week I fished baits over GB. This did not seem to work so today I cut it out completely and fished over micros. At 12m I cupped in a half pot of micros with a few grains of corn. 6m left was just half a pot of micros, 6m straight out micros and maggot, and right was micros and corn. The margin line was just corn, no micros.
I started off at 12m and drip fed a toss pot of micros and 3 grains of corn. Within 10minutes I had my first bite an f1 around 2lb. Ten minutes more go by and another f1 around the pound mark. However despite persevering and trying other baits on this line no more bites were forthcoming. I re-fed another half pot of micros and a few grains of corn and moved to 6m left.
A couple of put in's saw a micro carp around 2oz take an expander, followed by a gudgeon. A move to straight out saw a couple of missed bites on maggot before another micro carp took the bait. The right hand line was primed with corn and micros and having left it an hour and a half I was hoping it would bury first put in and I would go onto win the match by a comfortable margin. The truth is I never had a bite on it all match, nor the margin which I tried occasionally.
The only place I could get a bite was at 12m and then it was a case of drop in and wait. The tow had started to pick up a little and the float was moving a bit so I switched to a slightly heavier rig and this seemed to stay still better. I did catch a few more f1's but was never in the race by the time the scales came round. I did fare better than the guy on peg 1 who had 3 f1's but was battered by the pegs on the opposite bank and decided to not weigh in.
To be honest, I do not know where I am going wrong at Oakfield. It is mid November and the lake was won by Pete Archer fishing deep shallow on the pole. A few of the other anglers had a couple of tip fish but were still sitting motionless for a long time.
Overall
1st Steve Nicholls               55-03   Swallow 16
2nd Pete Archer                  46-10   Red Kite 32
3rd Dick Ashby                  38-14   Swallow 11
4th Barry Edwards             37 -01   Red Kite 24
5th Gordon Worrall            34-12  Swallow 23
6th Pete Alland                  30-14   Swallow 5





No comments:

Post a Comment