Sunday 25 October 2015

Alders Farm Pines lake 25 10 15

My next few matches are most likely to be at Alders Farm, with most weekends leading up to Christmas taken so it was nice to fish an open and have a bit of a practice at the same time. I am expecting to be on Pines during most of the league, so when the option to fish a knock up on there instead of Ash Lake, I was going to take it.
With the Open on Ash Lake things were running a little behind schedule so we were fishing from 1030 to 1600. But with the clocks going back we had a little more daylight. We had 7 anglers fishing Pines, Trevor Price, Ricky Quick, Jim Stubbings, Terry Lancaster, Neil Riddy and his mate Andy, plus myself. Pegs 1 to 12 were drawn and I pulled out peg 3 and I was relatively happy with that.
Peg 3 is an open water peg but with no one on peg 2 I could fish the platform and a light margin rig was set up to fish in 2ft of water just out from the platform. I also set up a customary 2+2 line which I would feed by hand with a mix of 4mm fishery pellet and a few grains of corn. My last line was to be at 12.5m with pellet on the hook, both up and down in the water. I would start off by cupping a half pot of pellet and ping a few 4mms over the top.
For immediate company I had Trevor on Peg 1 and Neil on peg 4, Trevor was going to fish the waggler at distance along the dam wall and into the corner. He also set up a pole line long to fish the brambles along the edge. Neil had set up both a waggler and feeder and a couple of pole rigs to fish deep and up in the water.
I started off fishing long and on the deck with 6mm banded pellet and after 10 minutes I had not had a bite. A switch to some Maryuku Chocco Corn saw a couple of bites, with only one gracing the landing net, the other two came off half way back. No further bites came so I switched to 2+2 and nothing, back out and shallow this time pinging around 8 pellets every 20 seconds, Fish number two fell to a pellet shallow. It was hard going, Trevor had one fish and although he was getting bites he could not hit them due to leaves on the water affecting his strike. Neil had not had a bite and was switching from long pole to pellet waggler.
I had a quick 5 minutes down the edge for nothing and another look at 2+2 but still nothing. Back out to 12.5m and another odd fish on the corn, I was still pinging around 8 pellets every 30 seconds but was cutting back on the feed due to no bites. Trevor was up to 4 fish when I had a couple of 3lb fish to catch up with him. I could not get a run of fish and it was only after the match that I thought that I should have fed heavier and got their heads down. I was getting a few liners and this was I thought from shallow cruising fish. Perhaps they were further down. Hindsight in a wonderful thing.
All in all I had a good match, did not catch a lot but one I thoroughly enjoyed, the weather was good after a slight frost the night before. It had fished hard for all of us in the open water pegs, no one really caught well, although Terry on peg 5 did have a few late fish from the tree and lost a few more. However the island pegs had fished well considering the conditions.
Overall
1st Ricky Quick            85-15
2nd Adam                     57-08
3rd Jim Stubbings        42-11
4th Keith Ashby          21-13
5th Trevor Price          19-13
6th Terry Lancaster     14-14
7th Neil Riddy             11-14
So going into next week's third winter league match I did not learn a great deal, but will need to think about feeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment