Sunday 22 November 2015

Alders Winter League 22 11 15 Pines Lake

Well the winter weather has finally kicked in. Woke up to see the first proper frost of the year. We just get rid of Abigail and Barney and straight into the cold winds from the Arctic Circle. At least today stayed relatively mild considering the overnight frost. I comfortable all day in a set of thermals, track suit bottoms, T Shirt and hoodie underneath my Bib and Brace.
I always make a note of the first frosts because it is the time of year that I scale down my gear. Gone are the .18 line and now .14 with .12 hooklengths. Smaller hooks are the norm and have started using the B911 F1 hooks and have been impressed in the smaller sizes.
Today I was guesting with the Maver team, and would end up on peg 15 on Pines, not really where I fancied being, but you cannot get it right everytime. Peg 15 is a good summer peg, it has good margins and you can fish the edge of the island with a small feeder or bomb, or fish the pole at length where you will find 3ft of water.
I decided to start off the match fishing banded pellet at 12m feeding 3 or 4 4mm fishery pellets every 30 seconds, after 20 minutes and no bites I decided to feed a small pot of micros on this line with a few maggots in. Another 10 minutes passed and the float goes and I have foul hooked a carp which promptly shed the hook. I shallow up a touch and next put in the same thing happens. I switch to a lighter elastic but for no reason I cannot get a bite. After an hour and a half I have my first fish in the net at around 3lb. A relief because I seriously thought a blank was possible today. I was behind the guy on 12 who had caught two good fish, but the angler on 10 was still biteless. A switch to 14.5m to the right saw another fish come, this time on Amino Chocco Maggot. but it was the only bite for 20 minutes. I refed the line and went back to the line in front of me. It was hard going, you would not get a bite, regardless of feeding. I felt as if no matter what i did it would not make a difference. I pinged, tosspotted, big pot little pot it made no difference. I even tried fishing shallow for 20 minutes for no bites. The margins were a no no as I could see the bottom 10ft from the bank, it was that clear.
I did manage another couple of carp on the maggot towards the island, and to be honest thought it was all I could get from the peg, today.
Our section was won with 49lb by Colin Fossdyke, Roy Makins turned in 32lb and my 12-11 was only good for 6th in section. There were definately no fish up our end of the lake, with the other section on the lake fishing more consistently, although still hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment