Saturday 9 April 2016

Marsh AC Colemans Cottage Stepfield 090416

I must admit I look forward to the matches at Colemans Cottage, It is a good venue with a mix of lakes that all need different approaches. Weights are fairly consistent throughout the matches, no silly rules and a good breakfast in comfortable surroundings.
So today it was Mick's turn to drive, he was feeling a lot better lately and although he would still ask for a short walk to his peg, he was able to get us there in one piece.The weather was planned to be wet at the start but clearing up later in the day.
With breakfast taken care of, it was time for the draw. Mick had drawn short walk 11 with the other short walk taken by Rod. Al Loader Snr was fishing with us today and had drawn peg 3 with Al Loader Jnr on peg 2. At least if Al Snr needed any help Junior was only on the next peg to assist. Troy had drawn 22 with Kris on 23 so they were next to each other. 90 minutes in the car together and you get to sit next to each other for another 6 hours, still I know how they felt as I drew peg 12. At least I could keep an eye on Mick throughout and not listen to his lies at the weigh in.
I had a plan in my mind before the start, fish the tip for 30 minutes, before switching to the top three on the pole. I also set a line up to fish top four and also 12m.However I would only feed the line if I was fishing it. Feed would be 4mm Sinkers with either a 6mm Hard Pellet or 6mm Expander on the hook both of which I coated in the Almond Gel It. I also had a tin of corn with me and 2pts of maggot if I was really struggling.
Rigs were .3g DT Diamonds set with 4 no 8 shot and a single 10 stotz. All tied to .14 Colmic Stream to a size 18 B911 F1 hook
At the all in I baited up the tip with Micros in the feeder and a 6mm banded hard pellet and threw to the island. Within a minute I was into my first F1 around 10oz. Next put in and a liner, next another F1 around the 1lb mark. I stuck at this for around 30 minutes as planned and had 4 fish in the net. Mick was also fishing the tip and we were both about even. I then moved to my top 3 line and was getting a few bites on expander pellet. Mick also came off his tip line and decided to fish the margin. I was still putting odd fish in the net, but Mick's swim came alive with fish and he was getting 3 to my 1.I was still catching but not quick enough and Mick was pulling away. I had a spell at top 4 in case the fish had drifted further out but it was still a fact of a couple of fish then 10 minutes of nothing. Mick was no off his margin swim and fishing top threes and started catching without feeding before throwing a good handful of feed to his swim. I was dripping in 5 or 6 pellets every put and decided to up the feed to see if this would spook a response. It did short term and in hindsight I should have slowed the feed down when they were there and upped in when they were not. Still another lesson learnt. Still I was catching and with others struggling it was simply a case of head down. I thought I was matching Mick fish for fish but was still behind those early margin fish.
At the weigh in, Al Loader Jnr was first to weigh and put a fine 32lb on the scales. Next up, Al Snr and it was close. 31lb was recorded. Well done Jnr, A lot of the senior anglers have never beaten your Dad. Clive placed 36lb on the scales to take the early lead before Mick placed 58lb, my weight of 48lb was good enough for second on the day with only Tony Roberts breaking the 30lb mark from the remaining anglers.
Overall
1st Mick Wright 58-00
2nd Keith Ashby 48-00
3rd Clive Pritchard 36-00
4th Al Loader JUNIOR 32-00
Well done to Mick and keep hold of those Nuggets (2-0) I will be wanting them back throughout the year with interest. Unfortunately, Troy and Kris left before the end of the match, not sure if it was the fishing or a home emergency but hope all is ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment