Tuesday 9 April 2019

Alders Farm Ash Lake 09.04.2019

By a strange quirk of fate I have started to enjoy my fishing again, OK the results have not gone to plan and I have struggled with my mince pies for a while, but I am feeling as if results are only a little bit away. First match of the year saw me arrive with no vision( wrong glasses) and a blur on the water. Second match I had correct glasses but the fish did a disappearing act and this was backed up in the Alders Spring League.
Today would be my first attempt on Ash Lake, Mick was in attendance so the MK Nugget was primed and polished. I even had 5x20p pieces in case he battered me.
at the draw I was asked to hold the tin whilst Mick pulled out peg 2, how does he do it. It is his favourite peg and I have not known him to not catch from it. Colin had drawn peg 1, whilst on the opposite bank Matt was on 30, with Roy Makins on 29, Madd on 27. As is the norm, Trevor had the last peg in the tin Peg 10, leaving me with 21. I was happy with that, the wind may cause an issue but nevertheless it was a good draw. For company I had Pete Goode on 17, 6m Dave Adams on 20 with Sean Wain on 23.
I plumbed up and found around 4ft at 11m, this was fairly flat throughout the number 8 section, so opted to fish front of the section before going further out as bites tailed off. A topkit plus 2 sections in front of me and at 6 sections to the tree. My last rig was a margin rig for maggot late on.Bait was 6mm fishery hard pellets with 4mm fishery feed pellets. 3 pints of maggot would do for the last couple of hours down the edge. Well, that was the plan.
I started off feeding a small pot of 4mm sinkers and followed this up with a baited 6mm hard pellet. The wind was alright and pushing the rig from right to left but after 10 minutes I had my first carp around the pound mark, A slightly larger one followed before the line went quiet. I started feeding via a tosspot every put in, lifting and dropping the rig regularly, nothing. I had a brief spell at top 4 but nothing so went out again this time fishing the whole of the number 8 section. After a couple of minutes, another small carp. 10 minutes passed and a few indications but it was getting hard to see in the ripple and I was striking at nearly every movement of the float. I then switched rigs to a heavier .5g float which gave me more stability and positive bites.
Roy Makins was catching well, I could see Mick and he was putting two fish in the net to my one, so I knew early on where the nugget was destined. Dave had started well but was now struggling and the pegs on the cafe bank were all netting a few fish.
It seemed the only place I could get a bite was at a full 11m and it was a case of lifting and dropping to induce a bite. I tried a shallow rig over this line in case the fish were higher in the water column but no joy. I was now fishing in any areas of shade or dark water I could find, The ripple was constantly changing direction and with the wind speed increasing in strength at times it was difficult to hold the pole, even at 11m.
A few more fish succumbed to the 6mm hard pellet but nothing from the top four line or surprisingly the margin line. Two pints of maggot went into the tree and not a single bite from them.
At the all out, I was happy with my day, I knew Mick had beaten me, but I felt I had done the best I could from the peg on the day. Dave threw back around 25lb, Sean had 51lb, Madd weighing in a late caught 45lb. My fish went 53lb 13oz for the best weight on the dam wall and only beaten by Roy Makin's from peg 29. The cafe bank was different gravy though, 94lb a couple of 80s and 70s.
Overall
1st Roy Makins       103-02
2nd Mick Wright       94-01
3rd Colin Kidd          83-15
4th Jacob Harris        82-09
5th Andy Leathers     71-06
6th Gary Page           70-12
Well done to all the winners, framers, section winners and for Trevor claiming the Silvers King title with 21-06.Nice to hear Richard cheering you on today.
So Mick has taken another MK Nugget for a 2-0 lead, seems to have a familiar ring to this. My next match is Monks Lake 3 on Saturday.



1 comment:


  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete