Tuesday 13 May 2014

Alders Farm Pines Lake 13 05 14 Costcutter Open

Well with the exertions of Viaduct behind me now, its time to get back into local fishing and my Marsh AC commitments and to start the ball rolling was the regular Tuesday Costcutter on Pines Lake at Alders Farm.
Mick had other plans today so at least my MK Nugget was safe, but with 12 other souls preparing themselves for the downpour planned for later that day, it was never going to be an easy match.
With my gear all sorted from Viaduct, it was simply a case of sorting my bait for Pines Lake. Simply a tin of meat for the edge, 4 tins of corn for the long line at 2+2 and around a pint of fishery pellet dampened down. I had more corn with me just in case it was required but was unsure if I would need it.
I had loosen off my orange vespe elastics at Viaduct and tightened them up a touch but it would be touch and go throughout the session to get them right. I really need to fit puller kits to my pole and am working towards this goal.
MW .3g Diamonds coupled with .18 Stroft to a size 14 PR38 were going to be my main line of attack at 2+2. So I doubled up the rigs in case of a breakage or wrong elastic set up. I also set up a NG Edger float to fish 18 inches to the reeds to my left.
At the all in I cup some meat down the side to my left and threw eight grains of corn to 5m. I then dropped a rig in at 2+2 and threw some more. It was not long before I was getting iffy bites, little dips but nothing positive. I shallowed up by an inch and that was better. I was now getting small carp one a chuck. Within 10 minutes I had 4 fish and could see only Josh Blavins getting a few down the side. Terry Lancaster was having a mare, dropping his paste in before the start of the match, that old chestnut, his brother Charlie was getting a few from 31 but could not string anything together. I just kept plugging away, the fish were on the small side to do a decent weight but they tend to come in packs. You get a run of 1lb fish then 2lbers followed by a quiet spell and a few 4-8lb fish before the 1lb fish return.
After a couple of hours I was going well and estimated around 60lb in the net. I was keeping in touch with fish by fishing 1/2m closer then to my left and then to the right of the feed. A tip Josh told me on an Academy day a few years ago. I was still drip feeding corn at regular intervals and getting bites. I foul hooked a couple and a couple shed the hook at the net before disaster struck and my top kit snapped in two. OOOOPPPPSSSS. Still I had another rig set up and was quickly back into a rhythm.
Trevor was catching well from his berth on peg 8 and it seemed they were bigger fish. Josh was still catching and take some beating for 19 whilst Richard Brain was getting a few on the paste. However I was still catching and putting fish into the net.
I have often been called blinkered in my approach to corn fishing, I prefer focused on what is happening and what I am trying to achieve. You also need to be aware of who is catching and where, whilst remaining confident in your approach.
After 4 hours I reckoned on around 140lb and was cruising, I was getting bites within a minute and sometimes on the drop. A quick look on the margin rig over this line produced nothing and with the rig in the correct left hand margin also produced a small carp but took too long for the bite to come. So it was back out on the deep rig. I was managing to keep feeding regularly throughout the remainder of the match and if I felt the peg was dying I would feed a handful of pellet followed by a few grains of corn and this would spur it back into life.
By the end of the match I reckoned on around 95 fish which I was pleased with. I had kept fish coming for the majority of the match and managed to adjust my feeding regularly, sometimes they wanted 4 grains other times 8, but fed regularly.


Overall


1st Trevor Price              260-10       Peg 8 Stinky Maggot over GB
2nd Josh Blavins            223-08       Peg 19 Maggot over GB and Micros
3rd Keith Ashby             221-02       Peg 4 Stinky Corn over corn
4th Richard Brain           200-11       Peg 17 Paste
5th Charlie Lancaster     149-07       Peg 31 Maggot over GB
6th Terry Lancaster        123-14       Peg 26 Paste


Not a bad day at the office and certainly beats work. Now where was Mick when you want him.
My next match is at Claygate Lakes Sophies on Saturday.





No comments:

Post a Comment