Saturday 10 May 2014

Viaduct Fishery Pleasure Day Cary Lake

So what did I learn from my first session on Cary Lake on Monday. These fish are big and take an age to land.

Today was to be a pleasure day, In fact I was still struggling with that last pint of lager the night before, which made me feel ill overnight. I can remember winding up a few Liverpool fans in the pub with Troy before and during the game.
Vic and Del had gone to the high 80s where the match was won from yesterday, Mick was out of sight on peg 81 with the spit on his right, whilst Troy had gone onto 80 the other side of the spit. I was knackered pushing my barrow so plonked the gear into peg 98. I would only set up the bomb to start with as I wanted to concentrate on this and practice different combinations and hooklengths. Also I thought I would need to tighten up on my casting.
I was already to go at around 0930 and could see the others catching already. I started off on a GOT Jupiter 10mm pellet on a single hair rigged band pinging 8mms at around 40m from the bank. The wind was not too bad and I could reach this comfortably with a catapult.
It was not too long before I managed my first fish, around 15lb. By switching hookbaits to 10mm coarse and occasionally double 8mms in both Jupiters and standard coarse I could keep fish coming. I was recording the session by dropping a pellet into an empty bait box and after a couple of hours I had 10 fish, all doubles to 15lb except two 8lb fish. Pete had come round as he was travelling back today as he had some work in Burnley to do before starting his new job and whilst he was there I added another two doubles to the total. I was catching well in comparison to the other lads and was quietly getting a clearer head. They were all catching but chopping and changing methods all the time from bomb to PW to 7m and down the edges. Time for a walk.
As I approached Vic and Del they were both into fish. Vic on the PW whilst Del had a fish on from the edge. Mick was catching fishing the waggler a rod length out in open water and had bubbles everywhere, whilst Troy was catching on the bomb just past the spit and in the margins next to the spit.
Back at my peg I decided to set up the pole to fish in the margins by the platform of peg 97. I had a good depth and 3 good handfuls of 8mm pellets by some reeds that protruded from the bank would set a boundary mark.
I gave this line another hour to settle whilst still pinging out to 40m and the bomb. In this hour I had another 6 fish for around a ton in weight including a fish I reckoned was well over 20lb. The fishing was improving as the day wore on but it was tiring and although I had only 18 fish from the bomb line all bar 2 were doubles including the 20lb fish. These fish fight all the way to the net and never give up. I can honestly say that I have never caught such hard fighting fish considering there size.
The pole line was at around 10m and had 2ft of water in it. A single banded coarse pellet was gently lowered in and just kept going, but the culprit was not a carp as I expected but a surprise tench around 3lb. Another drop in and a skimmer around 2lb. Another go and a mirror carp, this time around 20lb, happy days. It seemed I could do no wrong, every put in was met with resistance in either skimmers around 2-3lb mark or big mirrors to 20lb. I gave it two hours on this line and was knackered so after landing a ghostie around 14lb decided to call it a day. I had caught 20+ skimmers between 2-3lb, a lone tench at 3lb plus 29 double figure carp averaging 13lb each, 3 carp estimated over 20lb plus two around 8lb for a total weight in the region of 440lb.
I had packed up and had a chat with the others who were still catching and all had weights over 200lb.
An awesome venue which continues to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment