Saturday 10 May 2014

Viaduct Fishery Monday Open 05 05 14

Bank Holiday Monday and an Open on Cary Lake. This was my first time on Cary, I had never fished it on any of my previous visits to Viaduct. I could not tell you a good peg from a bad one but knew from the internet that the pegs in the 80s catch well and the fish run big, with an average size of 12lb.
Troy was the only one missing from the rest of the lads. He fancied a day chilling in the lodge and not fishing, a welcome change from working 12 hour days 6 days a week.
I had drawn peg 100 by a big tree on the lodge side of Cary and was told it was a decent area for silvers. Not what I had hoped for, for me, it was carp or bust. I needed to learn how to catch carp here as I would be fishing it a couple of times during the week ahead. Pete and Del were on pegs 77 and 78 respectively. Vic was on peg 88 with Mick close by on 85.
I set up the customary bomb rod to fish at around 40m where I thought I could comfortably ping out some 8mm coarse pellets. I also set up a 12.5m line in 4ft of water using .18 Stroft to a size 14PR38 and a .4g MW Diamond. I also set up a line down the edge to the platform of 101 which was empty.
I had decided today to fish various pellets on the bomb and have a go on meat at 12.5 as we had been told the meat and pellet was working on the lake. My margin line would be fed at the start with 4mm GOT Sinkers and a polecup full of meat. I would top this up every hour.
At the all in in went some grub to start the swim off and out went the bomb with a couple of 8mm coarse pellets. I started pinging a few pellets over the top and within 10minutes the tip flies around and my first fish from Cary was on. First thing I noticed was my clutch was set too light so the fish pulled too much line off too quickly, I tightened up and started to gain some control. However, these fish fight all the way in and although I managed to get it under the tip I could not lift it up from the depths. Slowly the fish was tiring but I had spent 10 minutes playing this fish before slipping the net under a 12lb fish.
Another go with a couple of 8mm coarse saw no action so it was a case of swapping hookbaits around. I found that fishing 8mm GOT Jupiters on the hook brought more taps and plucks and if I left them alone occasionally it would go round, sometimes they were liners and other times it was fish on. But these were wary fish and I learnt a lesson from Vic that evening which would help throughout the week. I could see Pete was struggling to catch his silver fish targets and Del was struggling on the bomb but was getting a few smaller carp at 7m over meat. Not a line I had prepared. Another lesson.
I was no getting nothing on the bomb. So switched to 12.5m and after a couple of drop ins I connected with a skimmer around 2lb. A switch to 8mm banded brought some bites but were impossible to hit. I suspected they were skimmers and decided to pot in some 8mm pellets and give it a rest.
Into the margins and another session of missed bites but these were lightning quick. A change of depth to 2inches over depth on double meat saw me connected with a couple of carp going 8lb apiece. Followed by a couple of skimmers around 2lb. I persevered on this line until the end of the match ending up with 6 carp and a couple of skimmers for 55lb and nowhere. I was beaten both sides.
Pete had thrown back an estimated 15lb of silvers. Del had a weight of 130lb mainly from the 7m line. Vic had 78lb from his peg on the top end of Cary but felt he was getting to grips with the lake. Mick was our hero with 140lb for 5th in the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment