Saturday 10 May 2014

Viaduct Fishery Match Lake Knock Up 04 05 14

We had asked Steve the fishery owner if we could have a knock up on the match lake and he gave us the green light and even said he would weigh us in at the end.
We had no set pegs so decided where we wanted to fish and fish it how we wanted. I opted for a corner peg where I could reach with 10m of pole. I also set a line at 11m that I could fish in comfort, as I had another angler behind me. I also set up a line at top two plus two for corn.
I had Pete on the next peg where he had an island chuck at around 30m, Mick was in the opposite corner and Del was to my right two pegs up the bank. Vic and Troy were on the opposite bank to me.
We had been told to expect some F1's with a few king carp plus plenty of skimmers, roach and tench.
So I armed myself with black hydro, a .3g MW Diamond to .16 Silstar Match line and a size 16 PR38 hook strung shotted to fish both top two and 11m. A MW Dinky down the edge in around 18inches of water at 10m as the wind was blowing into it. Bait was corn for top two plus two and the margin with some 4mm GOT Sinkers as feed and Stinky Corn hookers. On the 11m line I would fish a mix of meat and 8mm hard pellet banded.
At the all in I potted in half a pot of bait onto each line and started kindering the long line. I was getting a few bites on meat but could not hit them so switched to a larger hook and this changed my fortunes. A few skimmers and odd small F1's came to the net. I was off the pace as both Pete and Del were catching well on the pole with Mick starting to catch down the edge some decent sized carp. Vic had flown out of the blocks and was catching well at 7m with Troy starting to get a few on the Pellet waggler tight to the island. I also started to lose a few fish and was getting frustrated. I needed a walk and went to see Vic and Troy at the other end of the lake. Troy's peg was solid and every pouch of pellet was met with a swirl across. Vic was getting bites and was looking down the edge early into the match.
I went back renewed that I was not doing anything wrong and just needed a run of fish to pull myself back into it. Slowly I started connecting with a few fish and getting into a rhythm and just as I thought I had sussed it out it went bang and no more bites. I had a look on 7m and had a couple of skimmers on Stinky Corn before I switched to the margins for the last hour. A burst of proper king carp boosted my weight but it was too late to matter.


Overall


1st Troy Hillyer           73-08
2nd Del Smith             58-08
3rd Vic Nugent           56-14
4th Mick Wright         56-01
5th Keith Ashby         44-00
6th Pete Thompson    34-02


So Troy took the spoils on the day and I lost another MK Nugget to Mick to make it 7-4.

No comments:

Post a Comment