Saturday 10 May 2014

Viaduct Fishery Open Campbell and Cary 03 05 14

Six of us had decided back in October to try somewhere different to Stafford Moor for 2014 and with both Pete Thompson and myself extolling the virtues and fishing of Viaduct it was left to me to plan and book. This soon came around and Mick, Vic and I met up at 0400 to start of  a weeks holiday. A smooth journey down saw us pull into the Little Chef just outside Somerton around 0630. A little wait before breakfast arrived but it gave us a chance to hang around for Del to arrive from Hemel Hempstead. Pete was travelling up from Collumpton where he had been working and stopping at his brothers whilst Troy was coming down later that night having had to work.
I had booked four of us into the open whilst Mick was going to have a play around with paste on Lodge lake and have a look around. Indeed whilst we were waiting to draw Mick was already playing his first Viaduct carp. I had fished Campbell before but not Cary and knew the fish were averaging 6-8lb with plenty of skimmers to 2lb. I did not have a clue about Cary but knew the fish ran bigger.
At the draw I pulled out 110 on Campbell with Del opposite on 132 with Pete on 115 and Vic 119 all decent pegs where anything could happen. I managed to get tackled up early, a bomb rod to fish halfway across, a 12m line and edge to the stump. However, after a quick chat with Paul, one of the fishery owner he warned me that the fish break poles in that corner going under the brambles and to use a stronger pole. Luckily I had a G20 with me and would use this down the edge.
At the all in I cupped a tin of corn onto 12m and a pot of 4mm GOT Sinkers as the last time I fished here I was opposite and had over a ton on Stinky Corn over pellet and felt I did not feed it enough. A pot of pellet with a smattering of corn down to the stump and brambles. I opted to start on the bomb though and did not have to wait long for my first fish of the holiday on 8mm GOT Jupiters. After an hour I had 3 fish on the bomb and pulled out of one.
A look on the 12m saw a few bites from skimmers around the 2lb mark and no carp. I re-fed this line again quite heavily and hoped that a few carp would move in eventually. Hour three saw me get a few fish from the brambles and I was no sitting on 6 fish for around 50lb. I re-fed again and had another look on the bomb which saw a couple more fish in the net before it also died. Back out to 12m and a few more carp on the Stinky Corn. With an hour to go I had 10 carp for 70lb plus around 10lb of silvers. Another look down the edge brought another three fish for around 8lb apiece and two trashed rigs where the fish went under the brambles and kept going. Now I know why people have there poles broken in this peg. I survived but it was hairy at times.
Del had been catching down the edge and was in front of me. I could not see Vic or Pete.
At the weigh in I placed 108lb on the board with Del having 140lb and a section win. Vic had struggled but caught 130lb from his end peg whilst Pete had struggled.
Overall it was a decent start to the holiday and after collecting the keys to the lodge it got even better. These are large luxurious log cabins ( Bungalow Style) and had plenty of room inside and out with our own pegs to fish on Middle Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment