Saturday 10 May 2014

Viaduct Fishery Open 07 05 14

After the efforts of yesterday we booked ourselves into the midweek open on Cary Lake. The wind had got up during the night and all the talk before the match was which peg in the 80s would win. Myself, Vic and Del would fish this match with Troy having a day on Spring Lake and Mick having a day close to the lodge.
I was feeling a bit more confident about coping with the size of fish expected, after all its not everyday you catch carp that are nearly all double figures and 20lb+ some of them on match gear. I had learnt that to get them out you needed patience. They will come to the landing net, just do not bully them.
At the draw Del drew first and pulls out peg 99. Next to where I was on Monday and good for a few fish. I had drawn 102 in the narrower section of the lake. Again I was hopeful of a few fish. Vic had drawn 77 where Pete was on Monday and opposite me.
I decided this match I would fish the bomb and the pallet of peg 101 which was empty, I had caught there on Monday,albeit, from the other side and was hopeful of getting a few bites there. I also set up a line at 12.5m to fish hard pellet on the deck and up in the water with 8mm pellet.
At the start I was into a fish on 10mm GOT Jupiters on the bomb but then things went a bit quiet and I could see Vic getting a couple of fish although smaller in size. Del had 3 fish in the first 20 minutes on the waggler including a large double hooked in the side.
I had to keep swapping over hookbaits to single 10mms either coarse or Jupiters or double 8mm coarse or Jupiters. but by doing this I managed to keep in touch with those around me. After 2 hours I had sneaked in 5 fish. I had a look on the 12.5m line dropping in an 8mm pellet but was having to wait for a bite for too long. I was trying to make this line work and to be honest and in hindsight spent too long on it for only 2 fish. One of which was caught up in the water. I was still keeping up with those around me, but was struggling to land fish. It was only after the match finished that I found out why. The locals are all using lighter elastics on puller kits and letting them go before retrieving the elastics via the puller kits and playing them under there feet on soft elastics tightened up. I would loosen off all my topkits that night to hopefully see an improvement as I have no puller kits on my sections.
Going into the last hour I was on 7 fish, all double figures and had around the ton mark. I estimated I was around 2 fish behind Vic on the opposite side who likes to allow fish jump out of his landing net still hooked and play them again, strange man. The local next door was close but I thought I was just in front and the local on 100 was behind me.
I was now fishing the margin and after 30minutes was rewarded with another carp but it was the only proper bite I had from there. Another look at 12.5 saw no further fish so I spent the last 10 minutes on the bomb for another fish.
I think I spent too much time trying to get things to work when I should have concentrated on only the bomb and margin. I felt fish were in the edge but not really where I was fishing and perhaps by concentrating more I could have caught a couple of more fish from here.
Still I weighed in my 9 fish and was surprised to see 130lb 4oz on the scales and second in the 7 peg section, behind Del who had 10 fish for 130lb but had 10lb of silvers. Vic was also second in his section with 147lb behind peg 80 by the spit. Overall it was won from the pegs in the high 80s with weights over 200lb.
Troy had an enjoyable day catching some big carp on the pole and Pellet waggler on Spring Lake. He seems to be getting the bug for it after Sundays success. Mick was still catching from the lodges and had lost count of how many carp he had caught with his Mr Crabtree approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment