Sunday 20 July 2014

Arrans Lake Marsh AC 19 07 14

Unfortunately I could not make the last club match at Sumners Ponds , where Mick did well coming second to Chairman Dave Collier. However I could attend this one at Arrans Lake near Chelmsford. So the MK Nugget was up for grabs.
I had arranged to pick up Mick at 0600 and having sorted my gear out earlier that morning, I was a little early and we were packed and on the road. Now I don't know where you live but we have an issue with pigeons sitting in the middle of the road playing chicken. Well there is one less now, I am sorry but they are a danger to motorists and themselves. But is it Lucky?
A good run down saw us pulling into Roses Café just outside Chelmsford around 0715,where Pete and Troy were already tucking into their full English breakfasts. We ordered and sat down to see Graham, Gino and Simon had joined us.
With the lake only 10 minutes away we were soon pulling into the car park and before I had the chance to unload the car and pay my pools, I was asked to peg it. We had 23 pegs to choose from and only 19 anglers, so it was a case of which 4 we left out. Tony and Troy accompanied me on the trip round the lake and agreement was reached trying to give everyone a bit of room and a bit of bank space.
Back at the draw Mick was in early but not showing anyone until we had all drawn. My hand went in and peg 24 was to be my home. Pete had drawn 36 with Troy on 37. Mick was on 26 with Clive in between us. Dave had drawn a short walk on 20 next to the car park, Danger man Simon was on an end peg on 17, Tony on 34 could get a weight up if they showed and Terry was on end peg 40.
My section of 5 consisted of Gino, Tony W, Myself, Clive and Mick. If I was to pick up any monies I needed to beat these guys. We do not pay out overall, just sections.
My plan was to fish at 5m trying to bring the fish closer as the match wore on. I have found that by having too many lines on the go spreads the fish. Just pick a line and tactic and make it work for you. You still have to work at it, but it is better than trying everything and getting nowhere. Have belief in what you are doing. I set up 3 rigs to cover this one line, one at depth, one at halfway 18inches the other around 10 inches deep. I also set up identical rigs and stored them on winders in case of trashing one. There was not a lot of difference at top 2+1 so would just adapt as the fish came in. Bait was 3 kilos of corn and 12 pints of GOT 4mm Sinking pellets. I had as hook-baits, some Pineapple Gelled Corn and also some Stinky Stuffed corn in separate tubs. I also had some 8mm Coarse pellets if I was desperate.
At the all in I started fishing on the deck, feeding 2 handfuls of pellet and a handful of corn. I started my feeding regime of  4 grains every 20 seconds and was getting Rudd after Rudd. I was getting worried that after 15 minutes I had not had a carp, I had around 20 Rudd though for about 3lb. I decided to start upping the corn to a dozen grains and this had the desired effect. Carp to around 6lb started coming on Gelled corn and I was catching the early pace setters. After an hour I had around 5lb of Rudd and 40lb of Carp. I started getting iffy bites, the float moving from side to side, burying and nothing there, so switched to the mid depth rig and resumed catching again, I could see Mick and Clive catching well. Tony was getting a few but a lot of foul hookers, Gino was plodding along getting odd fish.
My third hour was similar to the first two, but I had to keep swapping rigs to find a run of fish with the mid depth rig being more effective. I could see Carp swirling under my feed but hooking them was hard. I had more positive indications at 18 inches. With 10 minutes left of the first half of the match( we have to weigh in mid match fishery rules) I put 4 pints of pellet in and two good handfuls of corn in to try to hold any fish before weighing in.
I thought it would be close between Mick and I during this weigh in and that proved to be the case. I placed 148lb in my four nets on the board to Mick's 131lb. However Simon on the end peg had 200lb plus and I had a lot of work to do to catch up in the second half of the match. Terry had caught well from peg 40 but both Troy and Pete had struggled, although Pete was enjoying himself catching Rudd and Roach. I was second overall at this point and knowing that the fish come on stronger as the match wears on, I was still confident of getting a few. But would it be enough.
Mick was kind enough to give me his spare corn. I had used around 2 kilos during the first three hours and was concerned that I may have to start feeding pellet more during the second part of the match. I had gone through around 6 pints during this stage and had enough pellet if I had to but, I could not turn down Micks offer. Thanks mate.
At this point I made the decision to try closer, still using the 18 inch rig and as before I was into Rudd straight away, before the carp put in an appearance. Again the Gel was working but for some reason after around 3/4 hour mark it went off and I could not get a bite on it, fish were present I could see the swirls and fish under the water. I went onto the shallow rig set at 10 inches and had a few on Stinky corn to keep the fish coming to the net, but again the fish stopped taking the bait. Onto standard corn and with 1 hour 20 minutes gone I was back in and thinking of putting a fifth net in. Another few on corn before switching to 18inches again as the fish dropped down in the water again. With an hour left I was catching well. In fact everyone seemed to be landing fish every time I looked up, Simon, Mick and Dave were all still in with a shout. In goes net number 6. I had estimated that I had 220lb at this stage plus around 14lb of Rudd.
I was now feeding around 10 grains of corn every 15 seconds and getting a response immediately, if not, out it came and went back in. I was getting fish around the 4lb mark and knew 260lb was on the cards and a possible 400lb total weight. My Rudd net had to house a couple of late fish, as I did not want to fall foul of the 50lb net limit in place. All out.


Match 1 Top 6

Simon Watkins    Peg 17    204-00
Keith Ashby         Peg 24   148-08
Dave Collier        Peg 20    136-04
Mick Wright        Peg 26    131-04
Terry Goff            Peg 40    124-08
Jim Boase            Peg 29     113-00

Match 2 Top 6

Keith Ashby            Peg 24    318-08
Simon Watkins       Peg 17    227 -00
John Holdsworth     Peg 35   215-00
Troy Hillyer            Peg 37    206-08
Mick Wright           Peg 26    194-04
Dave Collier           Peg 20    190-00


Overall Result

                               1st Keith Ashby         466-12   New Club Record
2nd Simon Watkins   431-00
3rd Dave Collier        326-04
4th Mick Wright        325-04
5th John Holdsworth 308-00
6th Troy Hillyer         273-08




Section Winners were Simon, Keith, Zack and John. Well done.


I was pleased with how I had fished, changing throughout the day both feed and rigs at what I felt was the right time and making decisions based on how fish were reacting. I did lose a lot of fish, a lot of them foul hooked but this was to be expected and a lot of others had the same problem.
I had secured the MK Nugget from the lads and now lead Mick 11-6 so happy days.






1 comment:

  1. Top performance Keith, congratulations on setting a new club record. Awesome performance, especially the second 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete