Sunday 6 July 2014

Stafford Moor 30 06 14 Yam Yam League Day 1

The Yam Yam League gets underway today and everybody was looking forward to a good days fishing. We had 6 pegs on Tanners and 6 on Woodies to fish and after yesterdays Open hopes were high. I had drawn peg 1 on Tanners with Vic on 3, Fred on 5. Nobby on 25, Gongo on 35 and Paul on 36. Realistically I was hoping for 4th in section considering the far bank pegs are a lot better than the lawns. Peg 5 could throw up a weight but our pegs are not the best.
My peg looks great but is awkward to fish as you are boxed in a little and restricted on where you can get to. Also there is a steep slope to contend with leading upto the bank. Again I set up the standard two bomb rods and a PW rod this time on 6lb line, to see if it would stop the breakages I was getting.
Bait was the same as yesterday, 8mm and 10mm coarse pellet, 8mm elites and 8 and 10mm Jupiters.
Starting off on the waggler across towards the Jurassic plant on the spit between Tanners and Beatties, I was getting odd bites but missing them, this continues for around 45 minutes before I connected with a fish and slowly managed to play the fish to the area under the rod tip before the line broke again above the float. I was not happy and threw the rod up the bank. I would now fish the bomb for the remainder of the match.
I managed a couple of fish before it went quiet and with Vic still biteless, and Fred losing a few fish I was just leading the lawns. Changing hook lengths to a longer hair definitely worked as I was getting a couple of fish on an 8mm elite but was having to ignore the small indications and wait for it to wrap round.
Fred was now landing a few fish on the bomb and Vic was getting a couple fishing tight to the island on 3. Paul on 36 was emptying it and Gongo was getting his fair share. Nobby was getting a few fish but was also losing a few on 25. However, our lawns mini section was fishing hard. None of us were getting many bites and it was a case of sit, keep pinging and wait. At the all out I thought it would be close between the 3 of us, but it was all about section points and finishing in the best position possible.
I was first to weigh and tipped 42-08 on the scales, Vic followed with 37-03 and I managed to pip Fred with 42-04 to secure my target finish of 4th minimum. As expected the far bank pegs produced well with Nobby weighing in 91-14, Gongo 118-14 and Paul winning the lake with 173-12 and maximum section points.
Woodies had fished well with Dave winning the lake with 230-00 on peg 36, Danny pushing him all the way with 223-00 on my peg from yesterday 20, Bob had 164-13 to secure 3rd Cotty having 132-12 to pip Pedro 132-09 with Gazza bringing up the rear with 80-08 from 28.



No comments:

Post a Comment