Sunday 6 July 2014

Stafford Moor 02 07 14 Yam Yam League Day 3

Day 3 of the Yam Yam League saw us all fish the Open and as luck would have it we had 6 anglers on each lake so Yam Yam sections were easily sorted. I was on Tanners again on 18. Great peg with the wind blowing in. Chuck to the aerator and to the island and pole down the edges. However the wind was going in to start but turned around mid-match and was blowing out towards the end of the match.
Dave was on peg 3 again and bemoaning his luck, Danny had drawn my peg 9 with Fred on 11, Gazza was on peg 30 with Nobby having another go on peg 36. Surely he would catch a ton off it this time. Joe from the Hollywood lodge was on peg 27 and was hopeful of a few on the waggler.
Woodies saw Bob on 20, Gongo on 32 Paul on 26 and Vic in the middle of the bay on 34. Cotty had drawn peg 10 with Pedro on 28.
Again two bomb rods and a PW rod to fish the point of the island and aerator swims and two pole rigs to fish the edges both at 5m to my left and right. The right hand edge being awkward in the fact you cannot get close to the bank, but had plenty of cover in the shape of a large Jurassic plant. These plants have huge stalks with spikes on them making them ideal cutting tools for a hooked fish.
Bait was again pellets in various sizes and colours and corn for both edges.
At the all in I potted a full pot of corn to my right and half a cup to my left. Started pinging a few 8mm coarse pellets over to the aerator and island. Starting off on the PW I had my fish fish around 3lb from the aerator. Happy days, my first SM fish on the waggler, however it was short lived and I resorted to the bomb in an attempt to get a few bites, although I was suffering a lot of liners and no proper takes. A move to the island saw a couple of 2lb fish.
I noticed a swirl down the right hand edge and decided to have a look. After 5 minutes the float dipped and fish number 4 was in the net. A good fish at 5lb, although it was struggle to get away from the plant. A couple more followed although smaller but regardless of size where still smashing me up. I decided to try the left hand edge and again after 5 minutes the float buried and another fish was in. I was slowly building a weight and although knew I would not win the match was confident of having a days fishing. I was just happy getting a few fish on the pole.
I knew I did not have many fish present but it was important to keep the feed going in and getting a fish before trying the PW or bomb again for 1/2 hour at a time. I kept to this strategy and although I was only picking up odd small carp on the bomb, I was getting a 7lb fish in the left hand margin after a rest.
I could see Danny and Joe catching on the waggler, as they are quite distinct in their style of playing a fish, standing up as they think they get a better angle on the fish. Another tip gained and another lesson. In fact the floats I was using on the PW were obtained from Joe who kindly gave me one to use the previous day. I liked them so much I bought another 3 from Keith Needham whilst I was there. Word was that Dave was catching on peg 3 despite his moans and groans beforehand.
At the all out I reckoned on around 70lb and was quite pleased that they tipped the scales over to 74-12. With probably around 45lb coming from the margins and near 30lb of 2lbers from the island.
Word was filtering through that Vic was doing well on the waggler, a method neither of us are proficient in but still learning. I was really pleased for him after two poor days.


Tanners Section

Dave Peg 3 202-03
Danny Peg 9 105-12
Fred Peg 11 62-02
Keith Peg 18 74-12
Gazza Peg 30 26-12
Nobby Peg 36 74-11

Woodies Section

Bob Peg 20 56-09
Gongo Peg 32 56-11
Paul Peg 26 72-10
Vic Peg 34 152-08
Cotty Peg 10 62-02
Pedro Peg 28 76-03

Dave managed a good match finishing 2nd in the match overall behind a weight of 216 from 34 Tanners. Vic secured the lake win on Woodies and his confidence was high.
In the league Dave was now tied on 5points with Paul with Danny just a point behind. I was now on 12 points with Vic on 13 to lie mid table.




No comments:

Post a Comment