Sunday 6 July 2014

Stafford Moor 29 06 14 Open

After our practice session, we were thrown in at the deep end and straight into the open on the Sunday. This match does not count towards the League. We had found that a 10mm GOT Jupiter worked over 8mm feed with a 1 finger hair. But the 2 finger hair could not be discounted especially with 8mm single or double hook-baits. So again I would set up two bomb rods, one with a short hair the other, a longer version. I would also set up a PW rod set to 2ft to start with.
As the Open anglers slowly gathered around the lodge all expectations were on who would get the 36 pegs on both Tanners and Woodpecker. Both flyers and pegs that you can get a decent weight from on both waggler and bomb. After paying my pools I drew peg 20 on Woodies, I had never fished it before but was told it was a good peg. However on arriving at my peg, the wind was blowing into me, and I could not get across to the island with a waggler, I would cast it out and it would always fall short. So decided to fish it three quarters across, where I could feed comfortably. I also set a pole up to fish down the side at 5m and 12m into peg 19.
Bait was 8mm and 10mm coarse pellet, 8 and 10mm GOT Jupiters, some 8mm Elites and a couple of tins of corn for the pole. I also had a pot of GOT Gel to try.
Vic had drawn Tanners peg 30 and would also be fishing a similar match. For company on Woodies I had Danny on peg 16, moaning about a poor draw, Nobby had drawn the swivel peg 10 on Woodies and would fish the pole. Paul had secured peg 36 on Tanners and was beaming like a Cheshire cat. Fred drew next to Vic.
As the match started I fed my pole lines and started pinging 3/4 across to the island, slinging the PW across trying to make a double plop of the float and pellet. My technique is not good I am still learning but occasionally it would work and after a twitch the float would go under. However after five hooked fish and five lost fish I thought I need to beef up my tackle to stand a chance. Something I would need to chat with the lads after the match. I went out on the bomb over the same line and started getting a few fish, albeit only small fish around 3lb but it was not prolific. Danny on 16 was catching well on the tree that sticks out.
I had a look on the pole at 5m and caught a couple of skimmers and odd carp, but again they were only small carp. Back onto the bomb and another couple of fish followed but I knew I was not doing the peg justice. I was swapping hooklengths around and none worked any better than the next. It was a case of just plugging away until the end of the match.
At the all out I reckoned on 60lb in the net 19 small carp and a few silvers. Danny had bagged all match and would win the match with 213lb of PW caught fish. Paul had also won his lake on Tanners 36 with 173lb. Vic had thrown back around 35lb of fish as had Fred. Nobby weighed in 59lb from the swivel peg 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment